[governance] online submissions for open dialogue sessions

JFC Morfin jefsey at jefsey.com
Wed Nov 19 08:37:43 EST 2008

At 13:32 18/11/2008, Parminder wrote:
>Hi All
>One main format innovation for the IGF, Hyderabad, is 3 hours open
>dialogue session in the afternoon for each day's key theme.
>
>Questions can be submitted online before hand for these sessions to
><mailto:igf at unog.ch>igf[at]unog.chThis e-mail address is being
>protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it  .
>See <http://www.intgovforum.org/cms/>http://www.intgovforum.org/cms/
>for the announcement which read
>
>"Please submit any questions you would like to be addressed in
>Hyderabad to <mailto:igf at unog.ch>igf[at]unog.chThis e-mail address
>is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to
>view it . They should relate to the broad themes listed on the
><http://www.intgovforum.org/cms/index.php/hyderabadprogramme>programme
>of the main sessions."

Warning.

This format was experimented during EuroDIG in Strasbourg. I carried
a analysis in French of the way the format works (speakers stay at
their place and are given the floor by the Chair. They can be from
the list or reacting from the audience).

The experience shown that more than two minutes speach sounds long
(the TV camera tries to spot you in the audience, but you do not
really control the room, your time, and people do not hesitate to
talk together while you speak). If there are two many people listed
their management takes a very long time, so do interuptors. So, you
are better to agree with your moderator to speak among the first
ones. This is possible because the best way to organise the "show" is
to gather the speakers by thematic groups prepared in advance.

Also, Strasbourg seems to have shown that once people have understood
they are to be short, they really become short and the meeting turns
like being a class room. With the moderator trying to find people
interested in speaking up. Then anyone can rise an hand and be long
as no one has prepared anything else.

This is certainly a very interesting format. But I think people
should be prepared to it. Other Strasbourg attendants could may be
comment this?

jfc