[governance] Re: [A2k] EU Council refuses to release secret ACTA documents

Jeffrey A. Williams jwkckid1 at ix.netcom.com
Mon Nov 10 20:08:11 EST 2008

Ante and all,

  This is indeed unfortunate and not seeminly in keeping with
the EU's position of openess and transparency.  Very undiplomatic
of them to act is suh a errant and inconsistant manner.

  Perhaps the EC will rethink this action are return to their stated
principals soon.

Ante wrote:

> Our yesterday's PR.
>
> We believe that, to stop ACTA in Europe, parliaments (both national and
> European Parliament) have to make Parliamentary scrutiny reservations.
>
> Without such reservations, ministers can just vote yes in the European
> Council. With such reservations, they can not just do that. That may block a
> Council qualified majority.
>
> >From there on parliaments can ask for transparency, study the vetoes on
> aspects of ACTA they have, and proportionality.
>
> The EP reservation is needed to study the text and decide whether the EP
> vetoes apply and should be used.
>
> http://action.ffii.org/acta/Analysis
>
> kind regards,
>
> Ante

> EU Council refuses to release secret ACTA documents
>
> Brussels, 10th November 2008 - The EU Council of Ministers refuses to release
> secret Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement (ACTA) documents. The Foundation
> for a Free Information Infrastructure (FFII) had requested these documents to
> make public and parliamentary scrutiny possible. After the Council's refusal,
> the FFII sent in a confirmatory application, for the EU Council to review its
> position, as allowed by Article 7(2) of the regulation dealing with public
> access to such documents.
>
> ACTA's secrecy fuels concerns that the treaty may give patent trolls
> the means to extort companies, undermine access to low-cost generic
> medicines, lead to monitoring all citizens' Internet communications
> and criminalize peer-to-peer electronic file sharing.
>
> The EU Council refuses to release the secret documents stating that
> disclosure of this information could impede the proper conduct of the
> negotiations, would weaken the position of the European Union in these
> negotiations and might affect relations with the third parties
> concerned.
>
> The FFII reaffirms its application stating that the legislative
> process in the EU has to be open. If the agreement will only be made
> public once all parties have already agreed to it, none of the EU's
> national parliaments nor the European Parliament will have been able
> to scrutinise its contents in any meaningful way. To prevent this from
> happening, it may be necessary to renegotiate ACTA's transparency.
>
> The FFII's confirmatory application letter questions ACTA's secrecy in
> no uncertain terms: "The argument that public transparency regarding
> 'trade negotiations' can be ignored if it would weaken the EU's
> negotiation position is particularly painful. At which point exactly
> do negotiations over trade issues become more important than
> democratic law making? At 200 million euro? At 500 million euro? At 1
> billion euro? What is the price of our democracy?"
>
> The Canadian government released documents under the Access to
> Information Act that provide additional insights into the secretive
> nature of the negotiations.

> [...]

Regards,

Spokesman for INEGroup LLA. - (Over 284k members/stakeholders strong!)
   Abraham Lincoln
"YES WE CAN!"  Barack ( Berry ) Obama

P: i.e., whether B is less than PL."
Updated 1/26/04