[Gov 586] Re:ITU and ICANN - a loveless forced marriage Re: [governance] ITU & ICANN in Cairo

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Mon Nov 10 02:41:53 EST 2008

On Sun, Nov 9, 2008 at 9:50 PM, Sivasubramanian Muthusamy <
isolatedn at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am not so well educated on the technical nuances of IPV6.  I notice that
> you have described ipV4 as "static" - Is ipV6 dynamic, is it designed to be
> "not-static" ?

it's not so cut and dried as "more or less static"

For example if you have a statically assigned v4 block (may be just one
address) from your provider, you will probably get a statically assigned
IPv6 block (the minimum size for residentail services seems to be a /64
(18,446,744,073,709,551,616 IPv6 addresses).

if you have IPv4 via DHCP, then you may or may not get a dynamic assignment
of IPv6 the same way.

http://www.tcpipguide.com/free/t_IPv6AutoconfigurationandRenumbering.htm

and

10+ answers to your questions about IPv6 | 10 Things |
TechRepublic.com<http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/10things/?p=443>

will be helpful here.

--
Cheers,