Remote participation plans Re: [OCDC] Re: [governance] Do we

Ken Lohento klohento at panos-ao.org
Sat May 31 04:53:57 EDT 2008

Hi Milton

Milton L Mueller a écrit :
> Ken, Ginger, Jeremy:
> This is an important discussion. I think by emphasizing the lack of
> participation under existing mechanisms, Ken may be missing the main
> point that Jeremy and Ginger are making with respect to online
> participation in IGF. The primary issue is the development of an ongoing
> virtual community, and the opening up of the Secretariat in ways that
> sustain, grow, and feed upon that community.

Yes, I understand the existence of a virtual community, active before,
during and after IGF is of importance to encourage contributions. It's
also why I was assuming that the lively contributions on Slashdot was
also due to the sense of community that already exists on that
platform/between those who discuss there.
The other issue is the management of that community considering the
suggestion below :

> "a new platform ... which allows
> administration and editing functions to be distributed between the
> Secretariat and volunteers from the stakeholder groups, who may be
> delegated responsibility for maintaining particular functions or
> resources..."

I can't imagine right now clearly what this management will require from
the Secretariat side, what political implications for them it will have,
etc. Maybe they don't want too much trouble it's why they've established
this discussion space they've put on the IGF website
http://intgovforum.org/forum/ :-)

Thanks

KL
     governance at lists.cpsr.org