Remote participation plans Re: [OCDC] Re: [governance] Do we

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Fri May 30 09:28:20 EDT 2008

Hi Ken,

On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 3:46 PM, Ken Lohento <klohento at panos-ao.org> wrote:

<snip>

> However, what really appears very clearly for people who monitored the email
> accounts is that facility is not really used. Maybe people don't trust that
> facility as you said, but it's an adequate facility for most people and so
> far people have been very inclined to adequately process contributions sent.
> The reality is that mails (apart from spams) are so rare in these accounts
> that when you see them, you are very happy and convey them to the session
> chair.

Well, from my experience the IGF webcast/chat functions have been
unusable. Now I recognise that I am not like "most people" in that I
am on the end of a dodgy PtP link that is 7 hops from a VSAT, so
obviously it's a bandwidth issue.   However there are 2 things to
note;

1) much of this part of the world has no better connectivity thna I do

2) I CAN and DO participate remotely in the "existing Internet
administration bodies" events on this same link.  This is not
surprising given the amount of experience (RIPE meetings webcast for
~5 years, others slightly less) AND the type of NOC they can run on
site.

Maybe IGF should look to them for BCPs on remote participation?

--
Cheers,

McTim
$ whois -h whois.afrinic.net mctim