[governance] RE: organizational orientation

George Sadowsky george.sadowsky at attglobal.net
Wed May 28 21:25:48 EDT 2008

All,

Suresh is absolutely correct in pointing out through this example a
large cultural difference between the more hard core technical
community and the cultures of some other groups.  i know nothing
about the particular incident in question, but I do know something
about the IETF, and I'll use that as an illustration.  I believe that
the circumstances may be quite similar.

IETF operates as a meritocracy.  It has no legal existence, and
anyone can register for and attend an IETF meeting.  it doesn't
matter where you are from, who you work for, what color, gender you
are, or any other attribute of your personal life and/or beliefs that
have no bearing on how well you think, contribute or perform.  Once
you are in one of its sessions, you are judged almost completely by
the ideas that you contribute to the discussion.  If you don't know
what you're talking about, you'll be shut up.  If you contribute
well, you will be appreciated.  They don't believe in or have a large
tolerance for sloppy or uncritical thinking.

In therms of treatment of individuals, this is one of the fairest,
most egalitarian groups I know.  It believes in working toward
results and agreeing on the basis of rough consensus and running
code.  To be fair, the operational test of running code is a metric
more easily available in science and engineering disciplines than it
is in many other dimensions of human affairs but it is an ideal that
other groups might wish to take into account.

George

     governance at lists.cpsr.org