[governance] RE: organizational orientation

Milton L Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Wed May 28 16:50:02 EDT 2008

There is no doubt that IGF is the primary focus. This caucus generates
statements for submission to IGF, and nominates people to the IGF AG,
and serves as a focal point for the organization of workshops at IGF
annual meetings.

ICANN is an often-discussed topic, yes. But this caucus has never
generated a statement to an ICANN meeting or process, never nominated
anyone for the numerous ICANN positions and never organized a workshop
for an ICANN meeting. As ICANN meetings approach, we do not see list
members telling each other who plans to be there. I would like to see
more people here get involved in ICANN processes directly; as chair of
the NCUC and an active participant in GNSO task forces and policy
development processes, I have often urged people here to get more
involved.

RIRs are barely on the agenda here, though of course I wish more of us
were involved in that too. (By the way, a newcomer from this list
recently made a comment on the ARIN list and was instantly attacked by
Randy Bush. There was nothing particularly wrong or controversial about
the newcomers' comment, Bush was just being territorial and attempting
to make this person feel like an outsider. So be forwarned: while there
are numerous and quite sincere entreaties from the RIRs to get more
involved, there is still a very strong tribal element in those circles
that will not be happy when you do. But I expect that to change
gradually.)

The EU is another area to keep an eye on. There are enough Europeans
here, and enough global impact of EU decisions, for that to be a proper
area of focus. And of course, we all must, for better or worse, pay
attention to aspects of US policy. As a principal of IGP I often wish
people in this group would respond more actively to efforts to respond
strategically to US actions that have global consequences (ICANN JPA
being an obvious case in point).

Milton Mueller
Professor, Syracuse University School of Information Studies
XS4All Professor, Delft University of Technology
Internet Governance Project:
http://internetgovernance.org
     governance at lists.cpsr.org