[governance] Do we need a MAG?

Jeremy Malcolm Jeremy at Malcolm.id.au
Tue May 27 22:20:22 EDT 2008

On 27/05/2008, at 11:27 PM, Adam Peake wrote:

>>> No, that will centralise (even) more power in the unrepresentative
>>> Secretariat.  In my work on remote participation, I've seen how the
>>> Secretariat very shrewdly picks and chooses what volunteer help to
>>> embrace and what to silently shun and thereby sideline.
>>
>> A major issue, of course.
>
> Jeremy, you and Kieren couldn't agree, had made no progress, your
> dynamic coalition (I was a member) was a mess.  So the secretariat
> and MAG stepped in.

Too many things to disagree with here, so I'll limit myself to three.
First, this is the first public acknowledgment I've seen of the
concerted back-room move to crush the Online Collaboration Dynamic
Coalition, as part of which you and the other MAG members who had been
members of its mailing list left en masse.  It is a shame that you
couldn't have been open about your intentions at the time.

Second, you and those other MAG members not once responded to any of
the specific questions, calls for comment and requests for help posted
to the OCDC's mailing list (in fact, apart from you none ever posted
to it at all); so I don't consider that qualifies as membership of a
dynamic coalition.

Third, made no progress?  What progress has the Secretariat and MAG
made by silently "stepping in" that the OCDC had not?  The OCDC's
server at http://igf-online.net, despite being underutilised because
of the Secretariat's refusal to promote it (and your filtering out of
comments about it as the Secretariat's dutiful gatekeeper), remains
the only community resource for the IGF (well, there's a Facebook
group as well; linked from igf-online.net).

> sometimes the MAG screws up (Parminder's concern over how access was
> described in the programme last year, which I insist was not
> important and an accident, but he feels strongly otherwise, but we
> disagree... was a screw up) and misses things, but nothing
> deliberate or underhand to the best of my knowledge/recollection.

Well, I think you've just drawn attention to one counter-example at
least.

>>> It is also easier for the Secretariat to palm off the
>>> recommendations
>>> of the open consultations to the Secretary-General (a fiction, of
>>> course) so that it can disclaim responsibility for the dismissal of
>>> those recommendations.
>>
>> Yes, that obviously happens now. And the MAG as far as I know never
>> issues any recommendations.
>
> As Avri said.  Not a fiction. It's the way the UN works.
> Governments asked the UN Secretary-General to convene it and convene
> it he does.

For choosing MAG members, sure (although the preferable view is that
the Secretary-General's powers lapsed once the IGF was established:
see page 454 of my book).  But there are innumerable other decisions
that significantly shaped the structure and processes of the IGF,
particularly for its first meeting, that were down to Markus Kummer
and Nitin Desai alone (as far as we know).

To choose one example at random, our ability to build a cohesive
online community around the IGF that persists between meetings is
impeded by the fact that membership of the IGF only exists in the form
of a register of those attending its annual meetings in person, rather
than for example in the manner of the old ICANN at large membership
which was open to anyone from around the world.  This makes it
impossible to communicate with the IGF community at large (to the
extent that there even is one).

A short while ago Bertrand de la Chapelle sensibly called for the use
of the plenary at intgovforum.org mailing list (that was created ages ago
at my request, but never promoted or used by the Secretariat) for this
purpose.  Even he was stolidly ignored.  So do tell me Adam, was this
the Secretary-General's decision, or is it down to the Secretariat?

>>> Harder for it to ignore a clear resolution of
>>> the Advisory Group, whose numbers and constituencies are known and
>>> fixed.  (Still not impossible, though; case in point, the Chairman
>>> shutting down discussion within the Advisory Group of any
>>> variation to
>>>  the 50% representation of governments.)
>
> Note Chair, not Secretariat. Not the same thing.

Nitin Desai has always regarded and referred to himself as a member of
the Secretariat.  I can refer you to specific points of the
transcripts if you need me to.

--
Jeremy Malcolm LLB (Hons) B Com
Internet and Open Source lawyer, IT consultant, actor

     governance at lists.cpsr.org