[governance] The New Class: Civil Society Professionals?

Willie Currie wcurrie at apc.org
Tue May 27 21:26:32 EDT 2008

Veni wrote in his Civil Society Professionals blog:

Events like this can change many people*. One of the best ways to “test”
someone, is to give them some power or authority. People who change,
while in power, they will be the best candidates to join the IG-CSP group.

* - Let me share some personal perspective - for me being member of the
Boards of ICANN, ISOC, CPSR, etc. has never made me feel special. For me
it was just heavy work, lots of duties and responsibilities. Less sleep
and more travel. I’ve never considered myself a different (special,
privileged) person from the one I was, and I am, just because I was or I
am sitting on a Board. I’ve found more value in heading the Bulgarian
Internet Society, because we were leading the Internet revolution in
Bulgaria. We’ve done a number of things for the first time in our
country, and that is what made us think with relief, “OK, we did what we
could; we achieved something. If someone else could have done better -
please.”

Veni makes a proposition that people who change when in positions of
power or authority fail his test and are corrupt and are therefore
eligible candidates for his IG-CSP group. In his footnote, he carefully
makes sure to demonstrate that he is not someone who changes, and
therefore cannot be a member of the IG-CSF group he denigrates. The
excellence of his work for ISOC in Bulgaria has little to do with the
rhetorical manoevres he is pulling here in the service of his hostile
attack on civil society.

willie

     governance at lists.cpsr.org