[governance] The New Class: Civil Society Professionals?

Willie Currie wcurrie at apc.org
Tue May 27 18:38:21 EDT 2008

Suresh Ramasubramanian wrote:

He seems to be in the position of the prophet
Jeremiah here, making these dire predictions that you're not getting the
meaning of. If you have read previous posts on his blog, you would know
that this is in
no way different from the views he normally holds, and frankly expresses.

The fact that this post of Veni's is no different from his previous
posts goes to the point that I am making about classic propaganda
techniques.Repetition is a feature of such techniques. I fully
comprehend Veni's posts and find them offensive.

I would react with shock to see that what is ALSO a bitter criticism
of icann is being interpreted as a swiftboating campaign somehow engineered
by ICANN/ISOC PR

I am not saying that ICANN/ISOC are engineering a swiftboat campaign. I
am saying that Veni as an ICANN staffer is not sufficiently
differentiated from ICANN to be saying such offensive things purely in
his private capacity without an association being created - to the
detriment of ICANN's image. This is not a bitter criticism of ICANN - if
anyone from ICANN is reading this post, I am pointing out that loose
cannons like Veni, who deploy crude propagandist smears repetitively
create a perception of ICANN by association which is not good for
ICANN's PR strategy.

willie

     governance at lists.cpsr.org