[governance] What this debate is really about

Suresh Ramasubramanian suresh at hserus.net
Mon May 26 22:49:43 EDT 2008

The red cross has no authority to perform its services?  I am sorry but you
will find that you are mistaken

National red cross bodies tend to have specific roles, and are governed by
an international convention (the geneva convention among others) .. such as
this one for the American Red Cross -

http://mowercounty.redcross.org/AboutUs/charters2.html

Unlike other congressionally chartered organizations, the Red Cross
maintains a special relationship with the federal government. It has the
legal status of "a federal instrumentality," due to its charter requirements
to carry out responsibilities delegated to it by the federal government.
Among these responsibilities are:

*	to perform all duties incumbent upon a national society in
accordance with the spirit and conditions of the Geneva Conventions to which
the United States is a signatory,
*	to provide family communications and other forms of assistance to
members of the U.S. military, and
*	to maintain a system of domestic and international disaster relief,
including mandated responsibilities under the Federal Response Plan
coordinated by the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA).

In fact it is a classic case of an organization that has specific, even
chartered and mandated, roles, but still remains essentially civil society
and multistakeholder in nature (so that the .org gTLD it has for its domain
is entirely appropriate).    Oh, quite a lot like ICANN in fact except that
ICANN is a US government chartered institution that later grew to include
international stakeholders, including governments (gac), civ soc (ncuc) etc.

                suresh