[governance] Nomcom and conflict of interest

Avri Doria avri at psg.com
Mon May 26 12:49:37 EDT 2008

Hi,

On 26 May 2008, at 12:08, Guru wrote:

> Avri,
>
> There is a serious problem when the same term is used to mean two
> different things. It leads to a lot of confusion, when in an
> argument one person is using one meaning and the other person, the
> second meaning.

Well, overloading terminology can always be problematic, but it is not
us who defines these names,  Internet Technical Community (ITC?) has
been defined implicitly by others (though the TA only uses technical
community, not Internet Technical Community).  Any of our explicit
attempts at a definition are just our interpretations for the implicit
meaning derived from common usage.

Also i do not think these definitions are any more problematic then
the overloading of definitions for CS.  In this case, the individuals
and their relationship to the organizations becomes rather clear.
though of curse i do not think we can create an epxlicit list of ITC
organization without lots of argument.

I would suggest we refer to Internet Technical Community organizations
and ITC individuals if we really want to distinguish and regularize
usage.

> Can we try and use two different terms for these two categories.
>
> We could consistently use
>
> A. IAB (Internet Administration Bodies)

However, IAB is already the name of another organization the Internet
Architecture Board (http://www.iab.org/).  This might be a bit awkward
in the overloading sense.

> for those "those _organizations_ that focus on work, often  in a
> partially coordinated manner, intended to insure the technical
> integrity and technical development of the Internet." I would add -
> 'and participate in the administration / governance of the
> internet'. The IGC submission in the feb consultations clearly
> covered this group when it stated that the participation of IABs in
> MAG should not be at the cost of CS participation'

As long as you use the working definition of Governance from the TA 34
and use a technical interpretation of what:  shared principles, norms,
rules, decision- making procedures, and programmes means, i do not see
a problem in that.

> B. and use 'technical  experts' (i am sure better names are
> possible) for individuals - these experts can belong to Govt or
> Business or CS groups (as also suggested by Raul).

Well, that remove the notions of these people being a community.  Also
then we could get in squabbling as to who was really an expert.

> Guru
> ps- Still waiting from responses on this question from Suresh and
> McTim..

yes, I understand their definitions are the ones  asked for and i am
just kibbitzing.

cheers

a.

     governance at lists.cpsr.org