[governance] Fall ICANN meeting in Cairo - Rights discussion

Bret Fausett bfausett at internet.law.pro
Mon May 26 12:47:44 EDT 2008

I believe in the power of making statements. I believe that making
statements about what is right and just is both good in and of itself
and sometimes has the power to create change for the better in the
world.

The participants in ICANN ought to know that the presence of an ICANN
meeting in a host country is used by many inside that country as a
sign that they are doing something right. If Egypt, or any host
country for that matter, is filtering Internet access or otherwise
abusing its gateways to prevent or impair end-to-end communications
between users of the world, that is something that, in my view, ought
to be publicized and condemned. We ought not let the presence of an
ICANN meeting be misused, by those who would deny Internet access to
others, as a symbol that they are doing the right thing.

I don't know what the Internet in Egypt looks like, but I will
certainly investigate that before the Cairo meeting. Certainly
filtering is not an ICANN issue, but the celebration of the local
Internet community always accompanies an ICANN meeting. While I
wouldn't necessarily expect ICANN, as a corporation, to make any
statements about the host community's Internet policies and practices
on filtering, I would applaud ICANN _as a community_ for making a
statement about what is right and just.

       -- Bret

     governance at lists.cpsr.org