[governance] What this debate is really about

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Mon May 26 02:59:37 EDT 2008

On Mon, May 26, 2008 at 9:41 AM, Guru <guru at itforchange.net> wrote:
> McTim,
>
> Suppose Kieren McCarthy, employee ICANN and Bertrand de La Chapelle, GAC
> member representing French Govt (who are both I think members of this
> mailing list) asked endorsement from IGC for MAG membership, do you think
> IGC should endorse them?

I think any nomcom shouldn't a priori take a decision unauthorised by
the larger caucus.

The short answer is that the caucus COULD endorse them.  SHOULD is a
matter to be decided based on the candidates statements about these
potential conflicts, as I assume that either the nomcom would ask, or
the candidates would recognise potential conflicts and volunteer their
views on such).  SHOULD BE ABLE TO nominate is my view.

> In my view, even though both have participated in the IGC list and have
> taken on CS identities, their current role prevents them from being able to
> represent CS. In any discussion within MAG (or any such ms group), it is
> unreasonable to expect that they will not represent ICANN and the French
> Govt respectively and these will be 'default' positions which will preclude
> their  being able to  effectively represent CS positions.

Well, since ICANN is a CS body IMO, then certainly Keiren would be
representing CS views.  It's just a part of CS that you don't agree
with.  I have no doubt that Bertrand COULD represent both saying "the
French government position is "x", while the IGC position is "y".  He
could also "in his personal capacity" give his own views if they
differ from either of the above.

> While it is true that many people don multiple hats etc, but one needs to
> investigate the facts of the case and as in the above example, where a
> specific hat is clearly the primary one, imo that will help in deciding the
> stakeholder group membership. On the other hand, a part time consulting
> relationship (which many IGC members do have, such as Avri with IGF
> secretariat) may be a very different situation, needing to be assessed
> differently.

Agreed, several people wear several hats. Excluding a group of people
wearing "blue hats" because one doesn't like "blue" does injustice to
the people on this list who prefer the color blue.

> Your answer will help me better understand your argument.

I hope that helps.

Perhaps you can tell us if the nomcom read rules # 4 and 5 before
making your decision?

--
Cheers,

McTim