[governance] Mercenaries on the list

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Sat May 24 17:56:02 EDT 2008

On Sat, May 24, 2008 at 10:22 PM, Rui Correia <correia.rui at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> Please do not confuse current criteria for membership of anything with
> the possibility of being a mercenary

I won't. The current criteria for membership in this caucus is quoted
in the earlier threads, but basically it's open to anyone who signs
the charter.

While it is certainly possible that some shadowy organisation has paid
to have this list infiltrated, I think it highly unlikely.

It seems more likely to me that many CS folk who spend a great deal of
time on IG issues do so, in part, because they get paid to do so by
their employer.  Not that there is anything wrong with that, I aspire
to that meself on occasion.  I think we just need to face the fact
that these CS IG folk, including those who work for existing Internet
governance organisations ALL have the same potential for conflicts of
interest AND that excluding one subset of CS is deeply wrong.

 - so, therefore, whatever I have
> said on this or similar subjects has NOTHING to do with membership of
> MAG!

I understand, I was trying to focus on the root cause of this discussion.

> NO, I would NOT support "the notion that people can't be excluded
> because of their employer". I FULLY support questioning the
> credentials of some of those who would like to pose as representing
> "us". Especially those sympathetic of ICANN. I have no problem putting
> my name behind the likes of APC, CIVICUS, Third Sector (Brazil), etc,
> or similar.

So there is "good" CS and "not so good" CS?  Who makes the list of who is which?

As far as our charter goes, this is absolutely NOT the case, we are
all equal under the charter.  Either we follow our charter, or amend
it if we don't like it.

If we don't follow it, as was pointed out some weeks ago, we cease to
be the IGC, and become something else.

--
Cheers,

McTim