[governance] Mercenaries on the list

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Sat May 24 14:31:38 EDT 2008

Rui,

On Sat, May 24, 2008 at 9:07 PM, Rui Correia <correia.rui at gmail.com> wrote:
> How can ANYONE ask ANYONE to define civil society?
>
>  If we need to ask ourselves that, than we as well give up. I thought
>  it was clear when the summit was structured around and three-prong
>  front: government, business and THE REST.

fine, so you agree then that existing IG bodies are CS, and staff
members of such should not be excluded as a class from being nominated
to the MAG by the IGC?

<snip>
>  3. Civil Society is like family and friends - you trust them you
>  invite them over to your house, you actually want to spoil them
>  BECAUSE one (grammatically, it shout have been "you", but it is not
>  mine to reason who is or is not, as YOU so rightly pointed out) enjoys
>  their company and knows that they feel like you do about people being
>  keep from enjoying their rights to the full because someone else's
>  rights seem to take precedence.

This is exactly the situation we have been discussing so vociferously
in the other threads.  The rights of a whole class of people have been
abrogated by a non-transparent decision by our 2008 Nomcom.

Would you support codifying into the charter the notion that folk
can't be excluded for selection because of the name of their employer?

>  4. Mercenaries
>
>  But, Suresh, perhaps, we should ask YOU to define Civil Society,
>  seeing that you seem to know it all, judging by the the number of
>  topics you adjudge yourself to be an expert on and therefore qualified
>  to comment on - basically anything on this list. Has anybody ever
>  brought up the energy properties of dog poo?

not recently IIRC.

Do you have any opinion
>  on that?

I do. it smells bad and is an inefficient fuel when compared to
Buffalo or even cow pats.

>  And before anybody starts shouting "ad hominem" (sexist as it is), it
>  is not and Suresh will acknowledge that he comment on EVERYTHING.
>
>  Waiting to hear his views on the energy properties of dog poo.

I bet he "close follows me" on this one. ;-)

--
Cheers,

McTim
$ whois -h whois.afrinic.net mctim