[governance] What this debate is really about

Suresh Ramasubramanian suresh at hserus.net
Fri May 23 21:59:53 EDT 2008

Milton L Mueller [23/05/08 16:10 -0400]:
>This debate is only partially about conflicts of interest; more
>fundamentally, it's all about WHO WE TRUST to represent us.

Who are "we"?  So far I have seen you and Parminder, and maybe a couple of
others (Tayob and such) in agreement. And I have seen various other people
on the list entirely not in agreement in this.

>So, a note to Sadowsky, McTim and Suresh: you need to accept the fact
>that a significant number of people on this list do not fully trust a
>staff member or director of an RIR or ICANN to represent civil society
>on the AG. You might think about why that is true.**

That certainly doesnt give you consensus of any sort.  And as I said to
Jeremy, you cant even claim to represent all of CS on this list.

>Another fact: You are not going to change this situation by whining
>about the unfairness of the Nomcom or creating a big fight about its
>decision criteria. There are better ways to address that problem. You
>are intelligent enough to figure out what they are.

Well yes, you can submit all these and then have several of your
nominations thrown out, I guess.
     governance at lists.cpsr.org