[governance] What this debate is really about

Milton L Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Fri May 23 16:10:48 EDT 2008

Neither Nomcom nor IGC have any ability to "bar" anyone from anything.

We are talking about who we want to put forward as _our_ representatives
and spokespersons on the IG Forum Advisory Group.

This debate is only partially about conflicts of interest; more
fundamentally, it's all about WHO WE TRUST to represent us.

So, a note to Sadowsky, McTim and Suresh: you need to accept the fact
that a significant number of people on this list do not fully trust a
staff member or director of an RIR or ICANN to represent civil society
on the AG. You might think about why that is true.**

Another fact: You are not going to change this situation by whining
about the unfairness of the Nomcom or creating a big fight about its
decision criteria. There are better ways to address that problem. You
are intelligent enough to figure out what they are.

--MM

**Hint: why did it take 2 years to get critical internet resources on
the IGF agenda, and why did certain groups fight so hard to keep people
like me off the plenary panel?
     governance at lists.cpsr.org