[governance] how to un-digg?

Nyangkwe Agien Aaron nyangkweagien at gmail.com
Thu May 22 06:00:57 EDT 2008

Avri wrote:
"Ps. no condemnation meant against the few members of the press that
participate in the civil society lists"
Actually, no qualms as such Avri. I will instead take your wrath
before that statement, as a call for Journalists to be mindful of
their social responsibility, which is that of informing people
objectively and accurately. Mangling words to suit one's political
agenda kills the credibilty of a Journalist and the Press organ that
employs such a Journalist as well.

Again, Avri, Journalists survive due to information that they obtain
from sources among whom are those that are interviewed. If you go that
far to tell news sources to "to say as little as possible to the press
and only when it suits your purposes", then you are proponent to an
ill informed society. And when I look at the work you are doing here
on the forum (pouring newsy ideas), I wonder  if those words were not
cast into your ears by some one with malefic intent, That statement
doesn't sound Avri's. AT ALL. I have been on this forum for three
years already.

Cheers and let information flows without restriction.

Aaron

On 5/21/08, Adam Peake <ajp at glocom.ac.jp> wrote:
> Hi, just to be clear, it wasn't me who was misquoted, that was Bill's story.
>
> Thanks for the advice about digg.  I am surprised about some of the other
> reactions.  But more later.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Adam
>

> At 1:23 PM -0400 5/21/08, Avri Doria wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > It really is a consideration as to whether the journalist agreed to allow
> Adam to read before publication.  If he did, and did not follow through then
> he behaved badly.    I do not think that having a signed piece of paper
> would matter, nor contacting the editor. If the journalist is going to be
> dishonorable, it is almost certain that he or she is doing so with the
> complicity of the editor and pieces of paper mean very very little - except
> as kindling.
> >
> > I think the only reasonable policy is to say as little as possible to the
> press and only when it suits your purposes, and when you do, know for sure
> that they are going to mangle your words to suit their political and sales
> objectives.  And if, perchance, you find one who is honorable and does a
> truthful job, thank your lucky stars for you will have met something as rare
> as truth. And of course then you can feel free to talk to that one again. In
> fact I would recommend you treat the press as you would any other stranger
> on the street or on the net, with great caution until you know them and
> their reputation.
> >
> > a.
> >
> > Ps. no condemnation meant against the few members of the press that
> participate in the civil society lists.  I expect you are among the rare
> ones - otherwise the nonsense of this list would have long since amused
> interested readers worldwide.
> >
> > On 21 May 2008, at 09:10, Nyangkwe Agien Aaron wrote:
> >

> > > Adam wrote "I asked, as I usually do, that they send me the text first
> before running it, but in my experience journalists usually can't be
> bothered to do that".
> > > If I agree with the first part of the remark that bothers with
> unprofessionalism by members of the the Press corps, I disagree with the
> affirmation that "Journalists usually cannot bother to do it". Journalism
> ethics allows for news sources interviewed to look at transcripts of their
> statements (on demand) before the bulletin goes to print. If Adam requested
> to read the transcript and the Spanish Journalist refused, thus going ahead
> to mangle his statement or proceed to utter mis-statement, the said
> Journalist did go against ethics.
> > > What Adams had to do was to write to the Editor stating the
> mis-statement and pointing out the fact that he requested to read the
> interview and ascertain that words were not put in his mouth but the
> Journalist did not respect it. The Editor will be bound to carry out the
> correction and in sanction the Journalist for such gross misconduct.
> [...]

Aaron Agien Nyangkwe
Journalist/Outcome Mapper
Special Assistant To The President
Coach of ASAFE Camaroes Street Football Team.
ASAFE
P.O.Box 5213
Douala-Cameroon
Tel. 237 3337 50 22