[governance] how to un-digg?

Nyangkwe Agien Aaron nyangkweagien at gmail.com
Wed May 21 09:10:19 EDT 2008

Adam wrote "I asked, as I usually do, that they send me the text first
before running it, but in my experience journalists usually can't be
bothered to do that".
If I agree with the first part of the remark that bothers with
unprofessionalism by members of the the Press corps, I disagree with the
affirmation that "Journalists usually cannot bother to do it". Journalism
ethics allows for news sources interviewed to look at transcripts of their
statements (on demand) before the bulletin goes to print. If Adam requested
to read the transcript and the Spanish Journalist refused, thus going ahead
to mangle his statement or proceed to utter mis-statement, the said
Journalist did go against ethics.
What Adams had to do was to write to the Editor stating the mis-statement
and pointing out the fact that he requested to read the interview and
ascertain that words were not put in his mouth but the Journalist did not
respect it. The Editor will be bound to carry out the correction and in
sanction the Journalist for such gross misconduct.
So Journalists usually are not bothered to having interviews visaed by
interviewees. They are the interviewees letting bad Journalists go their way
by not insisting à priori to read the transcript before engaging in a
one-for-one.
NEXT TIME, INSIST ON HAVING TO READ THE TRANSCRIPT BEFORE PUBLICATION PRIOR
TO GRANTING THE INTERVIEW. YOU MAY WANT TO HAVE THIS AGREEMENT IN WRITING
BEFORE SITTING DOWN TO TALK. THIS IS MORE SO IN AN AREA LIKE IG WHERE VERY
FEW JOURNALMISTS HAVE SOME BACK GROUND

AARON

On 5/21/08, Ralf Bendrath <bendrath at zedat.fu-berlin.de> wrote:

> Robert Guerra schrieb:
>
>> Someone raised a related kind of issue during the Rio IGF -- how do
>>> we teach the Internet how to forget (or do we need the Internet to
>>> learn how to forget?)
>>>
>> That was about personal information, not about stuff in newspapers.
>
> The argument is originally from Victor Mayer-Schönberger:
> <http://ksgnotes1.harvard.edu/Research/wpaper.nsf/rwp/RWP07-022>
>
> But still:
>
>> As I don't think we want the leading libraries of the world to
>> "forget/erase" books,
>>
> Most libraries throw out books on a regular basis, because their storage
> space is limited.
>
> I would be - very cautious - with the global knowledge resource (aka.
>> the internet) forgetting facts and thus changing history..
>>
> Interesting point. I also think that any corrections have to be clearly
> marked.
>
> Best, Ralf

Aaron Agien Nyangkwe
Journalist/Outcome Mapper
Special Assistant To The President
Coach of ASAFE Camaroes Street Football Team.
ASAFE
P.O.Box 5213
Douala-Cameroon
Tel. 237 3337 50 22