[governance] how to un-digg?

William Drake william.drake at graduateinstitute.ch
Wed May 21 02:45:22 EDT 2008

Adam,

Whatever misinfo you're dealing with, I think I may have you beat.  A couple
years ago I was invited to Madrid to give a speech to Telefonica Foundation,
which arranged a couple press interviews afterwards.  Among other things, I
explained that some developing country governments had been pushing for ITU
to play a leading role in IG, and also that the UN was setting up the IGF,
which I said was a good thing.  I asked, as I usually do, that they send me
the text first before running it, but in my experience journalists usually
can't be bothered to do that.   Couple weeks later, an article comes out
that appears to conflate the two points and has me saying, according to
Google translation, that  the UN should be the locus of IG decision making
rather than just IGF dialogue, with the lovely title, "the UN should
centralize Internet governance."  Don't know if the problem was language or
editorial sexing up, but I wrote to the journalist and to the paper saying
you've completely mangled what I said and got no response, so there it
remains on the web...

Best,

Bill

     governance at lists.cpsr.org