[governance] The Bled Declaration - a new internet, or a

Lee McKnight lmcknigh at syr.edu
Fri May 16 11:47:56 EDT 2008

I agree there is potential for 'clean slate Internet' research to lead to conflicting national and regional standards efforts - it is safe to assume this will occur in future as in past.

But having served as a reviewer for some of this, I can say mostly we are talking about very long-term academic research, more or less interdisciplinary, which may lead to a practical outcome.

Too soon for alarm for the IG community, but yeah folks should pay attention to where the net may - or may not - go next.

Lee

Prof. Lee W. McKnight
School of Information Studies
Syracuse University
+1-315-443-6891office
+1-315-278-4392 mobile
>>> mueller at syr.edu 05/16/08 11:34 AM >>>

Thanks for this valuable report, Wolfgang.
As other scholars can attest, there is a long history of regional standards competition in telecommunications and media -- US v. Europe v. Japan -- involving such things as color TV, High Definition/digital TV, and mobile telecoms (GSM vs. CDMA). The Internet was in a sense lucky to overcome this fragmentation, but it did so by global dominance of a single nonproprietary standard originated in the US. Current competitive efforts to come up with a "new" "clean slate" Internet are more likely to revert to the pattern of competing regional standards, in my opinion. Quite apart from the control issues.

Milton Mueller
Professor, Syracuse University School of Information Studies
XS4All Professor, Delft University of Technology
Internet Governance Project:
http://internetgovernance.org

     governance at lists.cpsr.org

     governance at lists.cpsr.org