[governance] The Bled Declaration - a new internet, or a centrally

Ralf Bendrath bendrath at zedat.fu-berlin.de
Thu May 15 16:22:30 EDT 2008

Robert Guerra schrieb:
> A colleague has just mentioned let me know about the EU -  Bled
> Declaration. At first glance, it sounds like re-inventing the Internet
> into a centrally controlled network.

To me, it sounds very generic and empty. You can't really tell what
they're up to from this declaration, except for getting more funding from
the EU.

But if you look closer, there are of course scary attempts to re-invent
the internet going on everywhere, ranging from identification
infrastructures which would make anonymous surfing real hard, to protocols
which distribute bandwidth based on the users' past behaviour, or the
music industry trying to establish a mandatory traffic monitoring scheme
on the ISPs' side to block copyrighted content.

A good start on this trend is Jonathan Zittrain's latest book "The Future
of the Internet and how to stop it", online full text here:
<http://yupnet.org/zittrain/>

By the way: There are versions of the declaration that are more
accessible, e.g. here: <http://www.isoc.org.pl/200803/bled>.

Best, Ralf
     governance at lists.cpsr.org