[governance] MAG mandate extended, call for new members:

Adam Peake ajp at glocom.ac.jp
Tue May 6 10:48:04 EDT 2008

>hi adam
>
>>Markus Kummer just sent a note to the MAG list about the group's
>>mandate: the mandate's been extended, and the secretariat is now
>>able to issue a formal call for new members.  The deadline will be
>>May 21. More about this on the IGF website soon.
>>
>>Nitin Desai has been asked to continue as chair.
>>
>>Press release below. The secretary general accepted the MAG's
>>advice from the February meeting about rotating up to one third.
>>
>>(as this list has a delay I expect I won't be the only one sending
>>this info...)
>>

>thanks for this.. can you get more info on the 'special advisors',
>and whether these positions are also open to rotation and whether we
>can improve diversity here.. if so, in what ways - particularly
>those who advise nitin desai

Karen, to the best of my understanding nothing has been decided about
chair's advisors.  There have been comments about the role of
advisors on the MAG list, most have at the least asked for
clarification about what their role is.  So I expect there will be
some discussion about this during the MAG's meeting next week.  And
of course you (anyone) is free to ask questions and make
comments/recommendations during the open consultation.  The caucus
could simply restate earlier opinions.  Doesn't hurt to reinforce
these things.

I believe those serving as Nitin's advisors will participate in the
next MAG meeting, but again there has been no official comment about
this.

>and what of the indian co-chair? will they also have sepcial
>advisors as the brazilian cho-chair had last year?

Again, not entirely clear to me, but my understanding is at the
moment there is no co-chair from the host country.  Nitin of course
has been asked to continue as chair, but no mention in the press
release of a co-chair. Don't like to read too much into these things,
but perhaps that's an indication there won't be a co-chair. Your
guess as good as mine.

Vague, but I hope this helps.

Best,

Adam