[governance] Re: Nomcom and conflict of interest

Suresh Ramasubramanian suresh at hserus.net
Sat May 31 21:10:06 EDT 2008

Parminder [31/05/08 22:32 +0200]:

>> 1. He/She needs to have CS cred
>
>This suggests that 'CS credentials' should be used as a key and 'the'

This suggests that CS cred should be used as a key, yes.

>> 2. And needs to declare / satisfy the nomcom about conflicts of interest
>
>The part of nomcom statement
>"Candidates employed by Internet Governance Organisations - Another matter
>that emerged was whether to accept candidates who are full time employees of

That is exactly what we take issue with. The nomcom exceeded its mandate,
and ignored precedent, by arbitrarily shutting out this section of
candidates.

It also introduced a strong element of bias into the process. Yes, there
are similarly chartered organizations to the RIRs that might align much
better with intl org rather than cs, but the RIRs themselves are much
closer to CS than those, and they are also eager to work with CS. Shutting
them out and maintaining a "us versus them" mentality rather than an open
mind is definitely not appropriate.

>suggests that the nomcom satisfied itself, and decided, that certain
>structural situation, as described, involved a conflict of interest.

Indeed, and who then authorized the nomcomm to make this unilateral
decision without coming back to the caucus? Rule 5 as McTim points out?

	suresh
     governance at lists.cpsr.org