[governance] NOMCOM - MAG

Parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Thu Mar 27 06:01:03 EDT 2008

Yes, Michael, I did read about the organization and also saw that it is
registered as civil society organization in the WSIS process. While Rudi
could simple have said, 'I too volunteer', and I would have accepted it, the
fact that he said he is volunteering form the "Indonesian private sector'
does leave me with a problem.

IGC membership rules are at present very loosely interpreted, (and we in any
case need to do something about it, as I pointed out in an email a few days
back) but the one rule which does seem to apply - as mentioned in the
charter in the voting section, and on the ballot for voting the lat time we
voted - is of self declaration as belonging to civil society.

Now, Rudi's self declaration violates precisely that rule - which is the one
that seems at present to be the only applied with any seriousness. In
capacity of co-coordinator, who is the custodian of the charter and IGC
processes, it is my duty to seek clarification on this matter.

An example to explain this position will be someone coming on to volunteer,
declaring that he volunteers from xyz government. I would refuse his offer,
and seek clarification. I was only doing what I understand is an
organizational duty.

Parminder

 PS: Since the volunteers list has to be published today, I will keep Rudi
provisionally on the volunteers list, which will be subject to random
selection process. I will again seek self declaration if he does get to be
on the first 5 list.

  _____