[governance] workshop deadline: April 30

Milton L Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Tue Mar 25 12:09:59 EDT 2008

Just a note that IGP will be developing some workshop proposals on its
own, which is something we feel we have significant competence to do and
a good track record. I am sure several other CS and technical
organizations will do likewise (APC, ISOC etc.) At some juncture a week
or so prior to the deadline, however, we will use this list to solicit
comment.

There are several reasons to do this. One is to avoid blindsiding each
other with direct duplication and overlap. This happened a lot last
year; hopefully we can do a better job of avoiding it.

Another reason is to gain broader perspectives on the topics and
suggestions for panelists, especially people from underrepresented
groups that we may not know who could make strong substantive
contributions.

Yet another is the issue of cross-"endorsement" of ideas/Workshops
proposed by the caucus itself or member organizations. The methods used
to do this can be determined later, and abandoned if it proves to be too
much trouble for either side, we simply note that we will be in
collaborative mode and will seek an appropriate and mutually beneficial
level of cooperation.

As you all should know by now, IGP likes to concentrate on issues of
technical governance that raise (often hidden or poorly understood)
issues of public policy. Thus, we would be unlikely to propose something
related to role and mandate of IGF (while agreeing that it is a good
area for IGC), and very likely to propose something somewhat related to
what Meryem is calling "technical and contractual means" that overcome
jurisdictional problems and may "circumvent national laws"

--MM

     governance at lists.cpsr.org