[governance] workshop deadline: April 30

Meryem Marzouki marzouki at ras.eu.org
Tue Mar 25 11:42:08 EDT 2008

Hi Parminder and all,

Le 25 mars 08 à 13:50, Parminder a écrit :

> As proposed earlier I do think we should submit a few strong
> proposals...
>
> I had given a call for IGC sponsored workshop proposals on 12th
> March. We
> have little time left to the 30th, so lets get on with it.

Note it's April 30, not March 30. But still, not that much time to
achieve this:)

> We saw discussions on two possible topics, in the last few weeks
> (pl point
> out if any other has figured, and I haven't mentioned it here)

I share Bill's and your suggestion to concentrate on 2-3 well defined
IGC workshops, with co-sponsorship possibilities for other workshops.

I support these three themes, for IGC workshops:

1- "Role and Mandate of IGF" (follow-up of last year workshop)

2- "Critical Internet resources"
or whatever this may me called. Adam's proposing "Arrangements for
Internet governance", but I'm afraid this title may be misleading. I
think the idea is the same, however)

3- "Technical and contractual means of law enforcement and control:
revising the competence of jurisdictions?"
This may be rewritten, but I hope you get the idea. The point is that
if we organize a workshop on "cross-country jurisdiction issues", I'm
afraid we'll fall into years-old very specific and technical legal
debates, while not addressing the main point w.r.t. Internet
governance, which is how technical and contractual means are used to
circumvent national laws (sovereignty issue but also breaches of the
rule of law), to circumvent or overcome the competence of
jurisdiction issue, as well as to insidiously establish non legal
standards. Thus, it's a wider topic.
Re: technical means, we touch on the issue of IPR as well as on
content regulation through filtering
Re: contractual means, we can deal with notice and take down
procedures, etc. (most recent example of such case: Network Solutions
- as host provider, not as registrar - suspending the
fitnathemovie.com website, see: http://newsroom.networksolutions.com/
2008/network-solutions-statement-on-fitnathemoviecom/)
It seems to me that this would allow, more generally, to discuss all
the issues synthetized in Willie's message (http://lists.cpsr.org/
lists/arc/governance/2008-03/msg00147.html).

Best,
Meryem

     governance at lists.cpsr.org