[governance] NOMCOM - MAG nominations

Parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Mon Mar 24 07:05:15 EDT 2008

> Do we have a list of people who signed the charter?
>
> Adam

In fact, this is an issue which has been bothering me a bit, and is partly
responsible for the delay in co-coordinator elections. I want the group's
advice on this.

The charter clearly defines the membership of the IGC as constituting those
who have endorsed its charter.

We have a list of 58 people who voted during the charter vote. But among
these, 3 voted against. So, we do not have a list of those who voted for

The ballot for the co-coordinator election of 2006 carried a proviso that
"by voting you affirm that you consider yourself a Civil Society participant
of the Internet Governance Caucus"

I am trying to obtain the full list of those who voted in this election.
However I still wonder if an affirmation, that too only by implication and
not as a forthright statement, of being a 'CS participant of IGC' itself can
mean that one has endorsed the charter. It is likely that someone who does
enter into discussion on the list, but does not mean to endorse the charter
can say yes to this proviso and proceed to vote. And not be dishonest or
untruthful in doing so.

I would much prefer a prior endorsement of the charter, rather than an act
which is a (secondary) part of voting. But that is only my personal view. I
think endorsement of the charter should be a clear and positive step in
enrolling as a full member of the IGC.

To All CS Rio attendees whom I wrote an email inviting them to join the IGC
(and many have) I clearly asked whether they also endorse the charter, and
many have. This is the only clear list of charter endorsees that I have.

Members' views are solicited on this. Thanks.

Parminder

     governance at lists.cpsr.org