[governance] NOMCOM - MAG nominations

Milton L Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Mon Mar 24 00:17:22 EDT 2008

An interesting proposition. I for one think it would be useful to gain inside, confidential information from an incumbent on the way the MAG functions. And it is good of Adam to recognize that serving in that role would disqualify him from being on the list recommended by the caucus.

Clearly, someone on the IGC Nomcom must decline to be nominated to the MAG by IGC. For example if I am randomly selected for the Nomcom I would be ineligible for caucus nomination to the MAG. But of course if I am not randomly selected for the Nominating Committee I would be free to self-nominate or otherwise get nominated to MAG.

Adam raises the question whether he could decline to be nominated by IGC, AND serve on the Nomcom, AND be nominated to MAG by himself or some other organization, independent of the IGC process. This does not strike me as all that bad, but it does not strike me as 100% good, either. If Adam could do it, anyone could do it and it gives me pause to think that half the people on the Nomcom might also be angling for a position on the MAG -- outside the caucus.

On net, I would support letting Adam volunteer for MAG. especially in Adam's case since he has such close ties to ISOC and Kummer that he will probably be re-selected anyway. ;-)

Another way to handle this, if we had time, would simply be to have the Nomcom interview or teleconference with the existing MAG members.

     governance at lists.cpsr.org