[governance] FW: [Fwd: Outline of the WSIS Follow-up Report 2008 - CS inputswelcome]

Parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Mon Mar 17 04:28:15 EDT 2008

Dear Charles

Thanks for sharing the outlines of the 'WSIS Follow-up Report 2008', and
soliciting inputs.

I know the time is short, and so will only offer brief comments for your,
and the drafting team's, consideration. Please feel free to seek any
clarification, and we are also ready to forward stuff under the recommended
sections and sub-sections if so required.

In the 'Introduction' part, there are at present two sections - 'Purpose and
limitations of paper' and 'Role of ICT for economic growth and benefits for
poverty reduction'. Before the part on 'ICTs for eco growth' it will be good
to insert a section on 'role of ICTs for social development'. Here we can
have a quick introduction to progress over issues like access to knowledge,
governance and democracy, empowerment, education, health, and livelihood
support. All of these are centrally implicated in WSIS documents.

Somewhere close to the parts on 'wireless revolution' and 'cutting the cost
of local access' in the section on 'infrastructure', we may introduce a
subsection with deals with important policy option in the area of
infrastructure (1) open access polices from local to backbone levels,
including the issue of network neutrality, (2) low cost/ free public and
community-owned connectivity infrastructures.

(There is some very important work done by UNDP on community owned networks,
and muni-wifis are commonplace today. We can develop stuff on these areas to
help the drafters if necessary.)

These are the main inputs. A few minor ones:

In the section on 'Content, Applications and Services'   we can have
independent sub-sections on health, and on livelihood support (agriculture
etc).

The subsection on e-Government should include ICTs for articulating voice of
the disadvantaged sections, ICTs for advocacy, and ICTs for democracy.

The subsection on 'Open access to information and software' should have
explicit reference to all the work done in the area of 'creative commons',
and contain reference to WIPO's adopted development agenda calling for
strengthening and deepening the public domain, and briefly explore its
implications for the digital space.

The sub-section on education should include the work being done on open
education platforms (for instance MIT's open courseware, and many others).

Thanks, and best regards

Parminder

Parminder Jeet Singh

IT for Change (www.ITforChange.net <http://www.itforchange.net/> )