[governance] IGC nominees for MAG

Jeanette Hofmann jeanette at wzb.eu
Sat Mar 15 10:22:22 EDT 2008

Hi, I have a few questions regarding this list of "minimal rules".

1. The caucus statement prepared for the last public consultation a
rotation of one third of the MAG members: "One third of MAG members
should be rotated every year." is this recommendation still valid and
does it also apply to the civil society members or has the caucus
changed its mind in the meantime?

2. Rule no. 4 defines as a requirements that the nominees "should
promote and defend the caucus positions
 >> established by consensus before any MAG meeting [...] i.e. they
don't consider themselves as "acting in their individual capacity" but
as true representatives of the IGC." Why does the 2. rule require that
the candidates disclose their own positions if they are expected to
advance the positions of the caucus instead of their own?

3. MAG members are appointed by the SG not by the caucus. What would a
recall process intend to achieve? That the SG changes his mind and kicks
  out the person? A bit far fetched I would say...

In my view, it contributes to a clean process to ask all members to
apply again. What I don't find acceptable is to ignore our own position
paper on this issue that is in fact less than a month old and enjoyed
unusually broad consensus.

My suggestion would be to merge rule 2 and 4 into something more
consistent. For example, the nominee should be required to actively
participate in caucus discussions on matters that are on the MAG's
agenda. Active participation allows everyone to know and understand the
positions held be the nominee. In case the caucus manages to agree on a
common position (which often turns out to be impossible), the nominee
should present that position in the MAG meeting. If the nominee doesn't
agree with the caucus position, its more likely than not that consensus
in the caucus couldn't be reached to begin with.
The "imperative mandate" which rule 4 seems to suggest is not helpful in
a multi-stakeholder environment such as the MAG where consensus depends
on open discussion, willingness to consider others points of views and,
above all, to compromise.

Regarding the recall, the only thing I could imagine is that all caucus
nominees could be asked to commit themselves to step down in case of a
recall. We should take into consideration though that not all cs members
on the MAG got there through the blessing of the caucus. There are other
channels outside the reach of our rules.

jeanette

     governance at lists.cpsr.org