[governance] IGC nominees for MAG

Meryem Marzouki marzouki at ras.eu.org
Fri Mar 14 20:36:22 EDT 2008

Le 14 mars 08 à 15:11, Milton L Mueller a écrit :

> It is more than the credibility of the IGF that is at stake, it is the
> institutional capacity of IGF itself. An organization that does not
> know
> how to regularly rotate and elect committee members is almost by
> definition moribund or worse, corrupt.

Especially when it has specifically been asked by the UN SG to:

"enhance the transparency of the preparatory process by ensuring a
continuous flow of information between its members and the various
interested groups.  It has also been requested to make proposals on a
suitable rotation among its members, based on recommendations from
the various interested groups." (press release of 20 August 2007:
http://www.un.org/News/Press/docs//2007/pi1791.doc.htm).

If I were the UN SG, I wouldn't find suitable what the MAG proposed:
"It was understood that any decision on how to proceed would be left
to the Secretary-General and that any list of candidates would
include the current MAG members who wished to continue.  One of the
criteria passed on to the Secretary-General would be the need for
continuity and the request that approximately 2/3 of the members of
the current group be carried over into the new group." (Summary of
MAG meeting of 27-28 February 2008, para 9: http://
www.intgovforum.org/Feb_igf_meeting/MAG.Summary.28.02.2008.v2.pdf)

BTW, the UN SG asked that proposals on rotation be made by MAG
members, "based on recommendations from the various interested
groups". Have I missed such a discussion initiated on this list by CS
MAG members nominated by the IGC and a synthesis of recommendations
from this list - one of the "various interested groups" - BEFORE the
last MAG meeting? Or is it that the UN SG simply had a dream of
democratic process?

> The key issue to consider is whether participation on the MAG is a
> purely personal form of recognition and engagement, or whether you are
> there to represent something larger - either a constituency or a
> set of
> ideals. All this crazy, strategically suspect talk about people not
> representing anyone or anything to the contrary, I would suggest
> that if
> someone who wants to be on the MAG does not represent a
> constituency or
> a point of view that transcends themselves they have absolutely no
> business being on the MAG. This is not about who gets invited to a
> cocktail party, it's supposed to be about internet governance policy.

Well said, Milton, but you should get back to reality. And this
reality is that: "The 47 Advisory Group members will serve in their
personal capacity" (press release of 20 August 2007, see URL above).
Not only the UN SG's dreams are limited, but MAG members keep telling
us the same thing, including CS MAG members suggested by the IGC.

This is exactly the reason why I asked for a preliminary discussion
on the relevance of any nomination by the IGC.

> I must also express disagreement with Meryem about not using the
> IGC to
> nominate CS representatives on the MAG.

You disagree, but at least you react and don't play the inertia game:
this is much appreciated. I'm amazed at how so many people here seem
ready to enter again a process without even willing to discuss its
relevance, inter alia by assessing its first step, taking into
account the experience so far. Some may genuinely think that what I'm
saying is "not constructive" or even "destructive". But what is
destructive - far beyond this group, to CS at large - is to go on
with such a perverted process.

> It seems to me to be essential
> that civil society use the only (quasi) universalistic organizational
> mechanism it has to hash this out.

What for? We have some experience with a first nomination process
(http://www.nomadicity.net/IGC-candidates-for-IGF-MAG.html). The IGC
has received 27 nominations (names, endorsements, bios, "why they are
a good choice for the MAG", and "capacity to serve on MAG" may be
found at: http://www.wsis-cs.org/igfnominees.shtml). The IGC then
selected 15 persons as its nominees (through a nomcom process), among
them 5 were selected (note that I'm comfortable with this 5 out of 15
selected persons: other CS constituencies nominated other persons,
and the UN SG had to take this into account). When have we seen these
5 MAG members consult the group that nominated them, and to which
extent have they consulted (let aside some very practical ideas
sollicitated almost only by one of them). When have we got any sound
information or hints on what's going on in the MAG?
I would agree with you that this is essential, if only some minimal
democratic principles were respected.

> Of course we know that other clusters
> of actors can -- and will -- approach the UN and IGF Secretariat with
> their own nominees.

Yes, and that's normal and highly desirable, but only under normal
conditions. e.g. Carlos already said that the LAC caucus will propose
its own nominees: this is good and I hope other caucuses/networks/
coalitions/organizations will do the same.

> But IGC at least can make a credible claim to have
> consulted a community and to have an unpredetermined outcome, so its
> nominees have more legitimacy.

First of all, that's not what happens in practice: in the end, the UN
SG makes his own selection, and we have seen that he selected 5
persons from among the IGC nominees. 5 out of how many CS MAG members?
Secondly: again, what for, in the end? What will rather happen is
that selected MAG members among IGC nominees will be able to claim
that they have this credibility and thus this legitimacy, and have
another round of MAG membership "in personal capacity, not
representing anyone nor anything".
That's where the process is perverted, both the IGC nomination and
the IGF MAG process.
I'm not attacking any individual here. But how may one call a process
where: a group nominates its representatives without giving them any
mandate nor any minimal transparency and accountability requirement;
accepts that these representatives are acting all of a sudden in
their individual capacity; accepts that these representatives don't
give them the least sense of what's going on inside the MAG; and
accepts that these representatives don't even affect to come back
with some accounting of what they have done and, on top of this, dare
to say that they would like to stay in place? And how may one call
such a group? A CS caucus? Not!

Why legitimating such a process? To delegitimate CS?

If we want to have any chance to stop this perverted process, we have
to collectively follow some minimal rules, like:
1. Consider a fresh start. Anyone can be (self-)nominated, of course
including those who have already been on the MAG
2. Consider only nominations that come with a statement of intent
from the candidate, including which positions s/he would promote
within the MAG
3. In case the candidate has already been on the MAG, consider the
nomination only if it also comes with an accounting of what the
candidate has done so far
4. Establish some requirements that should be followed by the
nominee: e.g. they should promote and defend the caucus positions
established by consensus before any MAG meeting, and report to the
caucus after each meeting. i.e. they don't consider themselves as
"acting in their individual capacity" but as true representatives of
the IGC.
5. Make IGC nominees subject to a recall process, following the rules
established in the IGC charter (http://www.igcaucus.org/IGC-
charter_final-061014.html) for the recall of coordinators. Since the
MAG rules themselves consider that MAG members are acting in their
individual capacity, the success of a recall vote on an IGC
representative to the MAG would imply that the IGC officially and
publicly notifies the UN SG of the recall.

And, most probably, get back to IGC charter and think twice about
this provision: "All nominations to external bodies, e.g., the IGF
multistakholder advisory group, will be made using a randomly
selected nomcom process as defined in http://www.igcaucus.org/nomcom-
process.html.", asking ourselves why coordinators must be elected,
while nominees are only selected through a nomcom process, and in
addition asking ourselves which of the two processes is more suitable
for selecting IGC nominees if we want them be our representatives.

Best,
     governance at lists.cpsr.org