[governance] 'US seizes domain name of Spanish company

Parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Wed Mar 12 23:15:22 EDT 2008

> FWIW, early in WSIS Cuba tried to get this para into the Geneva
> declaration:
>
> 56. Access to information and communication
> technologies shall be secured in accordance with
> international law, bearing in mind that some
> countries are affected by unilateral measures
> which are not compatible with it and which create
> obstacles for international trade. (US and Canada
> objected.)
>

> Adam

We still have in the Geneva declaration of principles

46. In building the Information Society, States are strongly urged to take
steps with a view to the
avoidance of, and refrain from, any unilateral measure not in accordance
with international law and
the Charter of the United Nations that impedes the full achievement of
economic and social
development by the population of the affected countries, and that hinders
the well-being of their
population.

And in Tunis Agenda

94.	We acknowledge that everyone should benefit from the potential that
the Information Society offers. Therefore, we invite governments to assist,
on a voluntary basis, those countries affected by any unilateral measure not
in accordance with international law and the Charter of the United Nations
that impedes the full achievement of economic and social development by the
population of the affected countries, and that hinders the well-being of
their population.

(end)

Parminder

     governance at lists.cpsr.org