[governance] A Wave of the Watch List, and Speech Disappears

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Thu Mar 6 12:16:31 EST 2008

On Thu, Mar 6, 2008 at 7:30 PM, Carlos Afonso <ca at rits.org.br> wrote:
> Fine, there might be horrid cases elsewhere, but there is no
>  justification for yet anoter violation of rights by the US government
>  regarding the Internet space. BTW, the servers were not in US territory,

Which servers, web or DNS?

>  and the company is based in Spain.
>
>  As I said, anyone who purchases a generic domain name is a risk-taker
>  regarding the USA's "reasons of State".

In this case, the registrar took action, not the registry, so it
remains to be seen if a non-US .com registrar (and non-US registrant)
would take the same action. Probably not. Then the question (that I
think you are raising) is would VRSN remove the records from the .com
zone in such a case.

I would  hope not.

--
Cheers,