[governance] A Wave of the Watch List, and Speech Disappears

Carlos Afonso ca at rits.org.br
Thu Mar 6 11:30:51 EST 2008

Fine, there might be horrid cases elsewhere, but there is no
justification for yet anoter violation of rights by the US government
regarding the Internet space. BTW, the servers were not in US territory,
and the company is based in Spain.

As I said, anyone who purchases a generic domain name is a risk-taker
regarding the USA's "reasons of State".

Verisign, through its subsidiary in Brazil, is doing an aggressive
campaign here. It should put a footnote in its marketing pieces (in not
so small letters) that there are risks of this kind involved in
acquiring a generic domain name. Cuba is frequently visited by
Brazilians, and several travel agencies here use a .com domain, quite
certainly without knowing risks such as these.

frt rgds

--c.a.

     governance at lists.cpsr.org