"bridge", was Re: VS: [governance] Summary Report of IGF MAG available

Parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Tue Mar 4 11:52:34 EST 2008

Avri

> > ICANN makes policy, and we are affected by it... so, in relation to
> > extracting accountability in relation to their policy making
> > function, we
> > need to differentiate ourselves from it.
>
> This is the more interesting statement to me.  Are you saying that by
> definition, CS could never be responsible for making governance
> policy?  Does your definition of CS depend upon being other to the
> policy making process?

Yes, what you state is more or less my position. Though being 'central to
policy making', and being 'responsible' for it, is not really to be entirely
the 'other to policy making process'. Policy making processes - which is the
entire political realm of our social life - is a nuanced and complex area,
and CS has important roles in this. But not 'central', and it cannot be
'responsible' for policy making.  That's a governance institution.

Lets approach it another way. What do YOU mean when use the term CS?  Either
we don't use the term CS, at least not use it as much as we do , not use in
the name of the group under which we organize, or we do associate some
meaning to this term. Don't you think that this is a simple and an obvious
proposition. And if you do, may I ask what meaning you associate with the
term 'CS'.

Is CS, by definition, doomed to always be
> affected by policy and never the maker of policy?

> Personally I hope not.  In my political philosophy, CS only reaches
> its capabilities when it is an integral part of making the governance
> policy.

Wittgenstein used to say - if you understand my philosophy it is then of no
use to you, it may even be meaningless to you. It's the same with an ideal
democracy. All citizens become fully and integral parts of governance and
policy. They will be THE government. CS would have reached its capabilities
and become an integral part of the governance policy. (All businesses will
only be practicing altruism, and complete public interest). The term CS
would lose its meaning. Yes, then their will no longer be these silly
political categories.

Meanwhile, to deal with these imperfect times we have these imperfect
devices of organizing non-governance bodies and non-business groups to fight
for public interest vis a vis those who hold huge institutionalized social
power, which is always suspect to abuse. We call these organizations as CS.
And in its political work it becomes important for CS generally, and these
CS organizations, specifically, to define itself/ themselves vis a vis the
institutions whose abuse of power it seeks to check.

 Parminder

     governance at lists.cpsr.org