[governance] How many TLDs?

Phil Regnauld pr+governance at x0.dk
Tue Mar 4 09:45:11 EST 2008

Thomas Narten (narten) writes:

> All that said, I am NOT arguing that the root needs to be kept at its
> current size. It could easily be expanded. Rough rules of thumb that I
> have heard people suggest indicate that increasing the current size of
> the root zone by two orders of magnitude could be done without any
> serious issue/change to the current operations of the root zone. So, I
> don't have any (technical) worries about adding tens or hundreds of
> new TLDs per year, maybe more as we gain more experience with the
> process (and with such difficult topics as how to deal with TLD
> business failures).

	Very good summary of the situation. But would it be "worth it" to even
	bother with two orders of magnitude ? DNS scales as well as it does, in
	its current implementation, because it's hierarchical (as you point out
	yourself). Technical considerations aside, I tend to agree that having
	an unlimited number of TLDs *in the current state of things* certainly
	wouldn't be ideal.  Now, I don't want to go into a "what-if" discussion,
	but one could imagine other mechanisms, such as peer-to-peer resolution,
	where DNS wasn't centralized, with no real root to speak of (or, rather,
	a "core" of trusted servers with a first-come first-serve registration
	model).  Unlikely, but the mental exercise is interesting, if only to
	try and see where this push for more TLDs will eventually lead.

	Phil
     governance at lists.cpsr.org