[governance] Re: Help create the .nyc Internet space for New York and New Yorkers

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at internatif.org
Sun Mar 2 07:21:58 EST 2008

On Sat, Mar 01, 2008 at 02:37:18PM -0800,
 Sylvia Caras <sylvia.caras at gmail.com> wrote
 a message of 21 lines which said:

> I find the current small number of top domains useful when I access
> a web site so that I have a bit of sense of where I am, who is the
> sponsor, ...

Hmmm, most of the domains are a ".com". Does it really give you any
information at all?

When it is not a ".com", well, if it is a ".fr" or ".de", it gives you
something (the fact the the registrant has a link to France or
Germany) but when it is a ".tv", ".nu" or ".org", what does it give
you?

May be it would be a good idea is the TLDs had more semantics. But,
currenly, the vast majority of the domains are in a TLD with no
semantics at all.

     governance at lists.cpsr.org