"bridge", was Re: VS: [governance] Summary Report of IGF MAG

Carlos Afonso ca at rits.org.br
Tue Mar 4 07:15:24 EST 2008

I think Avri has proposed a draft of a benchmark for an "ideal" non-gov
portion of the MAG.

The criteria Vittorio invokes go in parallel and are quite hard to
estimate -- mostly they are self-attributed (you all will remember in
the beginning the self-glorification pledges some candidates sent to the
  secretariat). The word "committed" needs a supplement: committed to
what? To working hard and being honest, for example?

Also, there is a problem of not fitting into any rigid categorization.
Several good candidates are just members of a single NGO (or business
association) and this is what they do. Should they be discarded then
because they fit nicely into a single category?

I think Vittorio is trying (and this is not wrong) to open up space for
individuals who are not formally attached to any organization to have an
opportunity to participate. I am sure there are good individuals in this
capacity who could do an excellent contribution. But this is an
additional set of criteria, of course, which must be used carefully in
light of the very small number of non-gov posts available.

Regarding the civil society portion, and in light of what happened in
the first MAG run, I would stress the importance of the caucus
coordinating the nominations (do we have, or need to have, a nominating
committee?). It is the only way to try and ensure a (nor perfectly, of
course) balanced list of nominees.

We have a nice, big challenge! :)

frt rgds

--c.a.