[governance] User input to Internet architecture work

Phil Regnauld pr+governance at x0.dk
Mon Mar 3 08:27:01 EST 2008

Carlos Afonso (ca) writes:
> The European
> initiative I mention seems to promise this and seems a good start (clearly
> the people who created it understand what I am trying to say), but are
> there others, would this be the reference on this need etc?

	Do they ?  Can you find me an easily locatable document on that website
	that clearly illustrates the problem that v4 to v6 transition is facing,
	mainly that of IPv4 shortage, and translation mechanisms ?

	I can see the names on some of the documents on that website, and
	yes, they are knowleddgeable about IPv6, but we don't need
	more corporate speak at the moment.  We need more concise, to-the-point
	presentations and articles, that while they may be aimed at non
	technical people, clearly outline the challenges, which are ALL
	TECHNICAL.

	What the EU should be doing is what Japan did: coerce public and
	private administrations into taking the plunge early, or else face
	the consequences (including penalties).  People just don't WANT
	to understand these issues until their wallets are affected.

> There is obviously an effort which ought to be carried out outside of the
> laboratories to convince decision-makers of the importance of this process.

	To what effect ?  What are decision makers going to do at this point ?
	I'm not blaming them for the mistakes being made, the technical community
	(us) didn't wake up and smell the coffee early enough, but I fail
	to see

     governance at lists.cpsr.org