[governance] User input to Internet architecture work

Phil Regnauld pr+governance at x0.dk
Mon Mar 3 07:32:38 EST 2008

Carlos Afonso (ca) writes:
> A question for the ones engaged in this interesting thread: is there an
> Internet space (a Web site or similar) which is trying to consolidate and
> report regularly on the progress of IPv4->IPv6 transition? I know there are
> real tests being done in several countries, in large networks, and
> occasional ones, all bringing interesting conclusions (and best practices),
> but I have so far not found a space which gives us a vision of the whole
> process -- in my view, a great need for the ones preparing to (or fearing
> to) "migrate".
>
> Please note I am not talking about inner techie spaces, but something a
> journalist or a decision-maker (who is not a network techie) can read and
> understand. There is the IPv6 European Task Force portal (www.ipv6tf.org)
> which does something along the lines I am talking about. Is this *the* site
> people should be visiting?

	There is no single site.  There is no single transition.  There, is
	fact, no real transition to speak of.  IPv4 and IPv6 will coexist
	for a long time, as they are two different network protocols on the
	wire.  How far is the transition ?  To answer that question you'd have
	to actually be able to measure the amount of readyness of every internet-
	IPv4 connected organisation out there, with regards to IPv6.  This means:

	- applications
	- clients
	- networks

	(that's very much simplified).

	If you want to get started, you're still stuck with reading
	what are mostly technical resources such as:

	http://www.civil-tongue.net/clusterf

     governance at lists.cpsr.org