[governance] Help create the .nyc Internet space for New York

Karl Auerbach karl at cavebear.com
Sun Mar 2 19:30:05 EST 2008

Sylvia Caras wrote:

> Here, I'm wanting to ... look at naming
> from the point of view of ordinary people, children first coming on
> line

Is it useful to think that we are wise enough to impose, from above, a
taxonomy of names and meanings onto the internet?

Suppose the internet had started 30 years earlier and we had, in the
usage of the day, created a TLD called .gay to hold things that were
light and happy.

We'd find today that such a TLD would be mispurposed, the meaning of the
word used in the name had substantially changed.

My point of view is that internet governance, at lest with regard to
domain names, ought to be limited to allocating "slots" - rights to put
a name into a zone file.  The governance system should be entirely blind
to the character string composing the name itself.

What that name is ought to entirely be up to the whim of the
person/entity to whom that slot is granted (as long as the name is not
previously used and meets internet naming standards, such as being 1 to
63 bytes in length, properly conforming to IDN encoding prefixes, etc)
(Disputes about names can be waged in the already existing fora for
resolving such disputes; we hardly need to establish another one.)

Humans appear to like their language to be pliable - they tend to take
Humpty's side in his chat with Alice from Chapter VI of "Through the
Looking Glass"
(http://www.literature.org/authors/carroll-lewis/through-the-looking-glass/chapter-06.html
):

`When I use a word,' Humpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone, `it
means just what I choose it to mean -- neither more nor less.'

`The question is,' said Alice, `whether you can make words mean so many
different things.'

`The question is,' said Humpty Dumpty, `which is to be master -- that's
all.'

		--karl--

     governance at lists.cpsr.org