[governance] Help create the .nyc Internet space for New York and New Yorkers

Sylvia Caras sylvia.caras at gmail.com
Sun Mar 2 15:42:32 EST 2008

On Sun, Mar 2, 2008 at 4:44 AM, Dirk Krischenowski | dotBERLIN
<krischenowski at dotberlin.de> wrote:

>  Your opinion of a pleasant small number of TLDs is a very single one.

I don't have strong feelings about .nyc versus .nyc.us or other versions.

I'm curious how ordinary people understand the web places that they
visit.  I read the URL, mentally differentiate between .com and .org,
sometimes visit whois to see the names behind a site, ...  I sometimes
want to know the commercial or political interest.    I guess that's
probably not what most people do.

Here, I'm wanting to separate out the technical part of this, which of
course creates boundaries for the conversation, and look at naming
from the point of view of ordinary people, children first coming on
line, people not at ease with English or this character set, ...
That's where I think the governance aspect comes in.  Much design
today is wonderfully adapted to use.  And much is dreadful.  So I'm
wanting to think wisely from the end-users point of view.

Sylvia
     governance at lists.cpsr.org