[governance] Help create the .nyc Internet space for New York

Karl Auerbach karl at cavebear.com
Sun Mar 2 04:27:16 EST 2008

Sylvia Caras wrote:

> For me, a central part of the top level domain conversation is how
> many might there be.

 From a technical perspective the technical burden of serving a root
zone to the net is equivalent serving a TLD zone.

Today the .com zone runs with roughly 70,000,000 names.  .com runs
reliably and with an acceptable administrative error rate.  Verisign has
done a good technical job.

The experience we have from .com tells us that it is technically
feasible to run a root zone with 70,000,000 names both reliably and with
an acceptable administrative error rate.

If ICANN were to allow 50 new TLDs every business day - roughly 10,000
new TLDs per year, it would take us about 7,000 years to reach a number
of TLDs that we know can readily be provided and supported using today's
hardware, technology, and administrative procedures.

We have known this fact for years - see, for example what I wrote on
this in year 2000:
http://www.cavebear.com/archive/ialc/platform.htm#dnspol-tldpol

Just to make sure that this thought experiment wasn't floating on air
several years ago a couple of us ran an actual experiment in which we
grabbed a copy of the then existing .com zone - something on the order
of 30,000,000 names at that time - and elevated it to be a root zone on
a PC-based server.  The poor machine, a relatively standard PC running
linux, gagged, groaned, and memory swapped/paged its way as fast as the
poor disk could run - but it worked.

I also created some synthetic zone files with a mix of randomly
generated names of various lengths (this was done to make sure we well
exercised any caches with a realistic mix of cache misses) and ran
synthetic queries, with a controlled number of queries for non-existent
names.  Again, we ran out of machine horsepower/memory before we hit any
DNS specific technical limit on the number of names.

(Unfortunately, since this was a spare-time-in-the-evening task, we did
not publish our findings in a nice concise technical paper.  Silly us.
And the machines have long since been recycled and the data/software
lost among ancient backups.)

Since that time, machines have gotten much bigger and faster.  Moreover,
it is possible to partition DNS traffic so that, for example, queries
for names beginning with the letters a-f go to one machine, those with
g-l to another, etc.

What I'm getting at here is that those who are waiving red flags of fear
at even small numbers of new TLDs are doing so for reasons that are not
technical but for some other reason, mainly protection of some economic
interest.

This is why we need always take care to distinguish between governance
to promote the public interest and governance that is really a tool to
protect somebody's bank account.

		--karl--
     governance at lists.cpsr.org