[governance] Fwd: IGC Membership list

Milton L Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Sat Jun 28 14:50:04 EDT 2008

Thanks, Bill for a well-thought out reply. I find myself supporting the
position you advance in regard to what constitutes membership in this
caucus, and why it is no problem to clarify who considers themselves in
and who doesn't.

However, let me also try to clarify what may be motivating Avri and
McTim's position (as I understand them) in order to pull out some
important and valid points they make.

I think Avri would like to see this list be "multi-stakeholder" rather
than a political arm of some sector called "civil society." So if there
are lots of people from govt, IOs, Internet administration agencies,
etc., on this list and they are willing to engage in dialogue with us
then we should consider their opinions. We want them to participate, but
not to vote on our coordinators, etc.

Personally, I believe there is a measure of validity in this but it's
also true that most of those people are simply here as observers/
watchers of the environment. Very few are actually interested in
engaging. At its worst, it can become a one-way flow of information that
can be used strategically by people who may not share our views and
interests.

McTim provides an example of another issue. My understanding is that he
is a member, albeit one who often disagrees with the mainstream
positions here. Obviously I agree that the purpose of having this group
is to formulate and advance a civil society-based conception of the
public interest in IG. However, this purpose requires this group to
accommodate a reasonable spectrum of opinion about what public policies
are actually in the public interest. Because civil society itself is
diverse on this question, it would be a mistake to allow a single,
narrow ideology to establish a litmus test for inclusion, especially if
and when the Secretariat of IGF grants us some kind of recognition as
representing "civil society." So I would rather have a McTim or two or
three around and insiders rather than outsiders.

Caucus

     governance at lists.cpsr.org