[governance] Fwd: IGC Membership list

Michael Gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Sat Jun 28 14:19:52 EDT 2008

I must say that I agree with Bill on this and have myself endured the
destruction of several significant on/offline organizations through the
repeated intervention of those wishing to destroy the group for personal
reasons and willing/able to use as their IMD of choice an over-punctilious
referencing to the "rules/constitution", acute legalism and widely
proclaimed adherence to vaguely defined consensus/democratic principles
where such rigourous documentation/legal specification was not the original
capacity/intent of the group in the drafting of the rules/constitution.
(Also, as here they were able to draw on support from well-intentioned
others who agreed with one or another of the laundry list of legalisms
presented by the destruction crew and which led to further confusion,
marching briskly down blind alleys, and general diversion from the purpose
and over-all direction of the group(s).

Where there are shared values/norms/goals the relatively minor issues of
"legality" which have been pre-occupying this group for the last month can
be easily managed with a chuckle and a shrugging of the shoulders (although
it is necessarily much much more difficult to communicate/achieve this in
virtual form). Where the intent is to disrupt/destroy the group (read
trollism) no amount of "discussion"/argumentation can do very much since the
original document to which everyone is referring was drafted by
well-intentioned people in haste rather than highly paid constitutional
lawyers sitting for months in air-conditioned offices.

Having just met a number (in the context of the Seoul OECD Ministerial) of
business or government folks observing us on this list, I can assure you all
that our collective behaviour in this is not winning us admirers among those
whose support we would look for in the future as CS evolves in these areas.

I haven't been following these discussions in detail but would again call
for the question and would this time strongly urge whoever is in authority
here (Parminder?) to follow whatever process is necessary to find out those
who would self-identify as CS based on the original values/intent of the
charter, have some sort of formal identification of those for voting
purposes (membership in the mailing list as a criteria can't work), have a
vote or whatever  and move on.

MG