[governance] Fwd: IGC Membership list

Jeffrey A. Williams jwkckid1 at ix.netcom.com
Thu Jun 26 21:23:07 EDT 2008

Avri and all,

  I believe that whatever "Bad netiquette" is be defined in no
uncertain terms.  The refrence to the term "Troll" is a particularly
offensive term/name calling.  I would suppose that the use of such
a term/name calling would be sufficently offensive to be considered
"Bad netiquette".  So Avri, I would kindly ask that you and everyone
discontinue using such a offensive/name calling/derogatory term.

  Thank you for your cooperation in advance in doing so.

Avri Doria wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I think the problem we are having is 2 (or probably more) different
> ideas of membership.
>
> One is that that for all intents and purpose all those on the list are
> full members in everything but voting.  For voting one must hold to
> charter in order to vote.    I..e they can particpate in consensus
> discussions and everything else - except a vote.
>
> Another is that there are two type of list members, those who are
> Caucus members and those who are not.  And that at any moment in time
> we should be able to distinguish real members from list members.
>
> The charter currently defines membership in the first way.  Some seem
> to want some version of the second definition.  If there is a majority
> who want to change the charter it can be changed. And there are subtle
> changes or major change we could make if that is what we are into.
>
> My issue is with living up to the charter we have and changing it
> explicitly if that is what we want to do.
>
> As for trolls, I would think that netiquette is netiquette and all
> list members are the same in that respect.  Or do you suggest that a
> voting member of the caucus should have more permission to engage in
> bad netiquette then a non voting member?
>
> a.
>
> On 27 Jun 2008, at 18:06, William Drake wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Jun 27, 2008 at 9:47 AM, Jeanette Hofmann <jeanette at wzb.eu>
> > wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >> now that Avri explained the problem to me, I support Avri's
> >> objection.
> >> Through the act of voting, people acknowledge the charter and agree
> >> to be
> >> members of this caucus - not the other way around.
> >
> > But we never vote.  So we have no idea which of the 360 list
> > subscribers are caucus members, which affects how one deals with
> > consensus building, troll disruptions, etc.
> >
> > BD

Regards,

Spokesman for INEGroup LLA. - (Over 281k members/stakeholders strong!)
   Abraham Lincoln

P: i.e., whether B is less than PL."
Updated 1/26/04
jwkckid1 at ix.netcom.com