[governance] Fwd: IGC Membership list

Avri Doria avri at psg.com
Fri Jun 27 12:23:48 EDT 2008

Hi,

I think the problem we are having is 2 (or probably more) different
ideas of membership.

One is that that for all intents and purpose all those on the list are
full members in everything but voting.  For voting one must hold to
charter in order to vote.    I..e they can particpate in consensus
discussions and everything else - except a vote.

Another is that there are two type of list members, those who are
Caucus members and those who are not.  And that at any moment in time
we should be able to distinguish real members from list members.

The charter currently defines membership in the first way.  Some seem
to want some version of the second definition.  If there is a majority
who want to change the charter it can be changed. And there are subtle
changes or major change we could make if that is what we are into.

My issue is with living up to the charter we have and changing it
explicitly if that is what we want to do.

As for trolls, I would think that netiquette is netiquette and all
list members are the same in that respect.  Or do you suggest that a
voting member of the caucus should have more permission to engage in
bad netiquette then a non voting member?

a.

     governance at lists.cpsr.org