[governance] RE: the rights workshop

Parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Fri Jun 27 02:15:35 EDT 2008

This is regarding the workshop proposed by the IGC on ‘A Rights Agenda for Internet Governance’. The IGC working group on this workshop has an f-t-f meeting at Seoul last week, and also intensive online interactions with some other rights groups that are co-sponsoring this workshop. (I will refer to this group as Bill of Rights or BoR group subsequently.) Karen who heads the IGC WG is unable to devote time this week, and it is for that reason I am reporting on the WG’s work. She will be back to lead the group next week.

The WG is of the view that the IGC workshop takes from the overall theme of IGF, Hyderabad, ‘Internet for All’, and do a workshop focused on interrogating the ‘access’ issue from a rights perspective, and name the workshop as ‘Internet for All – Exploring A Rights-based Approach’. Unlike the earlier proposal we will not be examining issues regarding other rights like FoE, privacy etc in this workshop… the BoR group has another workshop which is about mainstreaming the rights agenda in IGF/ DCs, and the full gamut of rights will be examined etc in this workshop. Some of us from the IGC are working with the BoR group on this. I would also like to see IGC as a group supports that workshop. More on that workshop can be expected soon from Lisa…..

The IGC workshop proposal, with the new proposed name ‘Internet for All – Exploring a Rights-based Approach’ will have to be re-written to suit this new approach. This will be done over the weekend. We need to submit the revised proposal by the 30ththis. However if more time is needed for discussion within IGC on this issue we may try to seek an extra week.

Meanwhile inputs and comments are welcome.

Parminder

  _____